New BT email scam.
There is a new BT email phishing scam going around the uk. It's made to look like a real BT email, they state in the email that they will be replacing your broadband cables and your internet will fluctuate between the dates they give you. But for the inconvenience they will give you a gift coupon for 12 months free streaming services and redirects you to a fake page where they try get you to enter your bank details for proof of age (DO NOT FALL FOR THIS). I will show below how you can tell that this is a scam and should not be trusted.
How to tell that this is a scam.
I will be showing you a couple of ways on how you can tell that this is a scam and there only trying to gain information from you. While writing this it wont let me redirect to the site they sent me as it has been took down but i'm sure they will use the same technique but different link.
First of its very simple, if you ever get any emails pretending to be from a company and your not to sure if its a phishing email you should look up on the internet the official email address. For example the email I received the address was (firstname.lastname@example.org) obviously that is not BT's real email address because if you receive a email from bt it should have (@btinternet.com).
How to stay safe from fake emails.
The best way to stay safe from fake emails that are trying to phish information and most probably your card details are
- DO NOT open any links from any email that you don't know where they have come from.
- ALWAYS double check the email address you received with the real email address where you can find online.
- If you do click on a link from a email do not put in your information like home address and card details especially if you don't know where the email come from.
- Always check the address bar this may not always be the case but make sure the url starts with (https).
- Always check for spelling mistakes.
- And most important advice I can give you is if it looks to good to be true, then it is.
If you would like more information about scams/hacking/phishing check out my other posts i'll link below. I will be uploading more in the future to make more people aware on what's going on.